What makes a business “small”? No, not necessarily the £ turn over. It’s usually the amount of staff they have. So what’s in it for you as a grad to join a company with 10/25/50 people in it?
- There can be far higher levels of responsibility early on. The buck stops with you far more often.
- That includes contact and consultations with clients.
- There’s far more chance of the managing director(s) both knowing who you are and having the time to find out more about you, your career aspirations and what lessons they can pass on to you from their experience.
- Your work is actually used! If they don’t use what you’re creating they will have nothing else to use.
- It really enhances your commercial awareness. When your decisions have a direct impact on the bottom line of the profitability of the business it really focuses your mind on how the business both makes and loses money.